Service Representative - Ambulatory Services
Location: El Monte
Posted on: January 18, 2023
Acts as first point of contact for Kaiser Permanente
members/patients and assists members/patients through registration
process under minimal direct supervision. -Practices proper cash
handling and reconciliation processes in accordance with
established policies and guidelines. -Member and patient needs
should be the primary focus of one's actions; develops and sustains
productive member/patient relationships. -Actively seeks
information to understand member/patient circumstances, problems,
expectations, and needs. -Establishes and builds rapport and
cooperative relationships with the public/members/ staff. -Responds
quickly to meet member/patient needs and resolve problems using
good judgment. Functionality may differ based upon operational
Essential Responsibilities:Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and
Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities and applicable state,
federal and local laws. Customer Service (Greeting, navigating,
- Greets members/patients and provides reception services, to
include directing and assisting members in navigating through the
medical center. Provides wayfinding to appropriate care
locations/departments as availability allows. Provides direction
and instructional guidance to patients who are unable to perform
check-in services independently via KP interactive and emerging
- Provides coordination of services to address member needs
related to benefits, finance and other member services utilizing
- Provides reception for designated area(s); verifies patient's
visit with pre- established appointment scheduling; registers
patients; verifies and selects appropriate insurance coverage
including confirmation of alternate insurance, and assists members
at designated KP interactive and emerging technologies and on all
Kaiser Permanente sponsored electronic devices and
- Provides patient information to family members, following
established patient confidentiality guidelines.
- Provides patients with assistance and education with regard to
the use of KP interactive and emerging technologies.
- Demonstrates flexibility when addressing various member issues
and needs related to operations and member services.
- Follows KP Service Standards. General Job Functions:
- Schedules member and non-member appointments and follow-ups, by
telephone, mail, electronically or in person utilizing Kaiser
Permanente's computer systems as directed by provider or
- Ensures current schedules are accurate, makes authorized
changes as appropriate.
- Verifies members' benefits, notifies member of applicable cost
share and updates patients' demographics information to include all
patient registration and billing information. Escalate any issues
- Directs patients to waiting areas. Obtains relevant information
to determine priority appointment time/date, confirms appointment
changes due to cancellations and notifies patients of available
alternate times, schedules/registers for follow up appointments,
tests and procedures.
- -Answers calls and relays messages to staff.
- Distributes questionnaires, various
medical/authorization/insurance forms, patient communication
materials, and completes statistical reports as requested.
- Provides patient instructions as appropriate.
- Performs related clerical duties as required, such as direct
booking, copying, etc.
- Performs related clerical duties in support of Clinic Strategic
Goals and Proactive Office Encounters.
- Provides telephone reception for designated area by screening
and referring incoming calls to appropriate staff; takes and relays
messages; gives out general or procedural information.
- May assist in orienting new employees.
- Maintains courteous relations with patients and staff.
- Follows Labor Management Principals.
- May perform other duties as required. Cash Handling
- Follows Kaiser Permanente cash safeguarding and cash handling
policies and procedures.
- Determines and collects appropriate payments for services and
products (where applicable) rendered as required per health plan
coverage and the established fee schedule; informs member of
account balance information; collects and documents in the computer
system receipt of a variety of financial and non-financial forms
and reviews with members as appropriate; directs patients to
- Carries out appropriate cash control procedures of balancing
total revenue received with computer system cash drawer to ensure
accuracy; completes closing process in the computer system and
deposits daily revenue securely in safe. - -Additional duties for
Service Representatives in Optical Services to include:
- Coordinates eyewear for delivery to patient.
- Communicates with the Optical Lab, Contact Lens Distribution
Center, and other Optical Centers to manage eyewear order
logisticsAssists with inventory control proceduresAdditional duties
for Service Representative in Laboratory to include: -
- Explains proper specimen collection to members, rejects
- Assures all pertinent information is entered into system during
- Updates and maintains all necessary logs.
- Accessions laboratory requests in Health Connect/Laboratory
- Maintains all printers - sorts and distributes results from
printer processing.Performs pre-analytical phase testing by
centrifuging, separating, bar coding and transporting specimens.Pay
Grade: 13Basic Qualifications:Experience
- Must successfully pass basic computer literacy test and
demonstrate keyboarding proficiency.
- Must successfully pass cash handling skills test
- Must pass Customer Service Assessment testEducation
- High School Diploma or GED required.License, Certification,
- N/A -Additional Requirements:
- Experience in using multi-line telephones
- Recent experience in customer service
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and meet
established department performance standards and guidelines.
- Cash handling or equivalent experience
- Effective written and oral communication skills -Preferred
- Experience in medical office background, cashiering and or
equivalent experience and medical terminology
- Knowledge of Kaiser Permanente's computer systems
- Demonstrates ability to deal with internal and external
- Ability to prioritize and multi task. -
- For Optical Department - recent front-line service industry
experience preferred -Notes:
- This is an on call position, days and hours may vary. -Job
Schedule: Job Category: Administrative & Support Services
Keywords: Kaiser, El Monte , Service Representative - Ambulatory Services, Sales , El Monte, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!